Skip to content
May 10, 2011 / ballerina2thepointe

So, You Want to be a Ballet Dancer?

Well folks, after just about two years of hard work and anticipation, my ebook  “So, You Want to be a Ballet Dancer?” is finally published (by Diversion Books) and up for sale!!!!

amazon.com

bn.com

Here’s a sneak peek! – - -

The Ballerina and Her Pointe Shoes—A Love-Hate Relationship

A faint odor was beginning to consume the air, stinging the noses of all of the girls in the SAB residence hall that afternoon. It grew stronger as the minutes passed, and when we finally went out into the hall to find out where it was coming from, we saw smoke beginning to emerge from the cracks under the kitchen door. My stomach sank as I realized that it was MY pair of pointe shoes that had caught fire in the oven! …….

Kronenberg, Jennifer (2011). So, You Want To Be a Ballet Dancer? (Kindle Locations 339-344). Diversion Books. Kindle Edition.

(Click on the links above and discover why I put them in there & what I learned; hardening methods I choose now;  plus plenty of other tips for prepping your pointe shoes!)

I truly enjoyed writing this book, and I hope that you will enjoy reading it just as much. I’d love to begin Q&A discussions with any readers that have questions pertaining to the book. Inquiries can be posted to me here directly, or on my author page on amazon.com under the discussion section, and I will respond ASAP.

I look forward to answering as much as I can!

Keep on dancing…!

24 Comments

1. Dance_Reader / May 11 2011 12:16 am

Jennifer,
    Congratulations on your book. You write in a fresh and honest voice about your experiences in the world of a professional ballet dancer and the path you took to arrive there. This book is a must-read for any male or female dancer in training, or anyone interested in a behind-the-scenes peek at what it takes to become a true prima ballerina, toasty toes shoes and all. Your husband Carlos Guerra’s advice adds an excellent dimension for male dancers. The photographs are beautiful and look especially nice in color on such devices as the iPad or even iPhone. Best of luck to you in your latest endeavor —-> AUTHOR!

• ballerina2thepointe / May 12 2011 12:01 am

Thank you so much! I’m glad that you enjoyed reading it, and that you found the information useful :o)

2. Sarah Hochman / May 11 2011 10:26 pm

hey jen!! congrats on the E-book! I was wondering if there is any other way to read it? im so eager to! xoxox

• ballerina2thepointe / May 11 2011 11:59 pm

Hi Sarah! Thank you, I’m very excited about it!
      As of now, it is only available in electronic format, but you don’t need a kindle to read it. It can be downloaded to a PC, laptop, ipad or android tablet, iphone etc. At checkoout (on amazon) they will ask you which device you’ll be reading it on, and if it isn’t a kindle, then you can download the “Kindle app” for free along with the book. I am not sure how it works on bn.com, but I imagine it is a similar process. It will soon be up on iBooks, Google books, Sony books, and KOBO as well. I hope you enjoy it! xo, Jen

3. The Dance Magazine of Florida / May 24 2011 5:49 pm

Hi Jen, It’s Karina from The Dance Magazine of Florida. I would like to include your ebook into an article for the magazine. Roberto can give you my contact info.Let’s touch base. Thanks

• ballerina2thepointe / May 24 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Karina, Thanks! That is fantastic news! I will get your info from Roberto tomorrow. I look forward to speaking with you!

4. Lottie / May 27 2011 10:54 am

I’m so excited about your book, I’ll definitely be getting my hands on a copy! The world of ballet has always had such a strong appeal to me.

After doing ballet for roughly 8 years, I gave up about 2 years ago due to the pressures of school work. I’m hoping to get back into it, although I have lost a lot of muscle strength in my feet (due to running and not supporting my arches properly). Do you think that with enough hard work and determination that I’ll be able to get back into it?
    I was previously en pointe and at a good standard of ballet.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lottie x

• ballerina2thepointe / May 27 2011 11:52 pm

Hi Lottie!
      I’m sorry to hear that you had to give up ballet, espcially if it is something that you love! I do understand the pressures of schoolwork though; I found myself juggling an extremely taxing schedule – especially during high school. You didn’t mention your age, nor if you are interested in taking ballet up again in hopes of pursuing a professional career. Both things may factor greatly into the accuracy of my answer. Having said that, I don’t necessarily think that two years off signifies that all hope is lost – especially if you had a good strong base before you stopped. If I were you, I’d try to do various strengthening exercises (consulting a licensed physical therapist if ideal) to regain muscle memory and strength in the feet and ankles, which you mentioned were weakened. Start back slowly, with a good teacher, and be patient with yourself. It will take time to get back to where you were before. Willingness to work hard and determination are definitely positive attributes!
      I wish you the best of luck, and thanks for your question!
      - Jennifer

5. classicalballetteacher / May 27 2011 3:46 pm

I think it is wonderful that you have taken a dedicated interest through this blog, which I link on my own site, and through the book to offer advice to young aspiring dancers. They often feel a gaping cannon between them and the professional world, and few professional dancers seem to feel comfortable or able to make time to “reach down” and mentor them. That said, there have been criticisms made of this book that perhaps should be brought into the open. Specifically, that the book appears to encourage the idea that ballet is exclusive to lighter-skinned, affluent dancers. Additionally, it appears that nutritional advice is offered to children and teenagers without the appropriate credentials. (http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=51187&hl=kronenberg)

I have not purchased this book yet. I still plan to, but I am wondering if you might endeavor to offer an honest response to these issues, even if the answer is simply that these issues did not occur to you. Live and learn is an important mantra for a reason, and I don’t think there is any doubt that the book was written with the most benevolent of intentions. I think it is errant of anyone to make assumptions about you based on the criticms of others until you respond. I do hope you’ll comment in some way.

I look forward to reading this book soon. I think it’s an important part of connecting professional dancers with younger students and with the arts audience. Sincerest congratulations on its publication and your successful performing career, and best of luck to you!

• ballerina2thepointe / May 28 2011 12:24 am

Thank you so much classicalballetteacher for your kind sentiments, and most of all for bringing this matter to my attention. I am not currently a member of Ballet Talk, so had you not written in, I probably would not have seen it. I am contimplating becoming a member just to post a response, or at the very least a link to the response you requested which I will write here on my blog. I will enter it as a new blog post, (rather than write a detailed answer here) so that more people may have the chance to see it. Please look for it under the title “For the Record”.
      Under most circumstanses, I would not respond to criticisms or critiques – I don’t think that is appropriate for a dancer to respond in defense to a bad performance critique, and I believe the same holds true for writing or any other form of art. We are putting our work out there willingly, always with the best intentions, for the world to criticize. Naturally, some people will like it, while others will not and I respect everyone’s individual opinions. In this particular case, however, I would like to set the record straight on a few facts that seem to have been overlooked and others that were misconstued in the book’s text. I believe that some things were “read into it” that are not actually there. I have read and reread those specific chapters a few times now, and I can say with the utmost confidence that this is the case. Those will be the only comments that I will adress, as any and all other issues that were brought to the surface on the aforementioned site are strictly a matter of personal taste and opinion and I have no right to pass judgement on them.
      Thank you so much again, and I hope that you will read the book and judge for yourself.
      All the best, Jennifer

6. Katherine / May 28 2011 3:51 pm

Hello!
    I was wondering if there was a way to read this book without having a kindle or a nook? I’m very interested in reading this book. Thanks!

• ballerina2thepointe / May 28 2011 7:16 pm

Hi Katherine!
      Thanks for your interest! The book can be read on any PC, laptop, internet tablet, iPad or iPhone in addition to the Kindle and Nook, as far as I am aware. When you purchase the book from amazon.com with your device of choice, you will be asked where you’d like to read it. You will then be prompted to download the free “Kindle” app to the device and the book will be automatically sent to that application. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! I hope you enjoy it!
      All the best, and happy reading!
      - Jennifer

• Katherine / May 30 2011 12:53 am

Thank you so much Jennifer!

7. Howard Grodin / Dec 17 2011 5:34 pm

Hi Jennifer. I wanted to share a story with you that I think exemplifies how special the Holiday Season can be.

My daughter Genna is an Angel in this year’s production of The Nutcracker, with the Miami City Ballet.

While sitting backstage for opening night, she was reading an article I emailed her, in which you discuss your new book and share your Nutcracker experiences. She loved the article and shared it with her fellow angels. They were so interested, in fact, that one of the girls downloaded your book onto her Kindle, which was passed around backstage. Obviously the girls were excited to learn about you and your early ballet experiences.

Well, you could imagine Genna’s surprise when it was revealed (onstage I believe), that you, Jennifer Kronenberg were dancing with her and the other angels as the Sugarplum Fairy! Her excitement in retelling the story when we picked her up post-show had an almost magical quality.

What a great holiday experience for my daughter. Happy Holidays!

• ballerina2thepointe / Dec 19 2011 7:36 am

Hi Howard!
      What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it with me…it inspired me for the rest of the performances! That is exactly what makes “The Nutcracker” so special. I am so glad , and honored that Genna had a magical time dancing with us and I made a special stop to say hello to her before Act 2 tonight (though I was “Dew Drop”, not “Sugar Plum” in tonights show)> I hope she liked the surprise that was waiting for her at the end of the performance!
      Happy Holidays to you, Genna, and your whole family!
      All the best, Jennifer

• Dana Grodin / Dec 19 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Jennifer!

I’m Genna’s mom…and I can’t thank you enough for your incredible gesture. The first words Genna said when she got home was, “This was the best night of my life! Jennifer Kronenberg came up to “ME” and she knew my name and …. then she gave me this! She did as requested and opened your surprise with me when she got home. All I can say is wow. I have never seen her so excited! Me too! You went above and beyond and made my little girl so happy. Needless to say, you have a fan in her and me and Howard for life.

Happy, happy holidays to you and your family too and best wishes for a week of great shows in Broward and many, many more magical performances to come…

Dana

8. Louisa / Dec 26 2011 5:37 am

Hello, or rather, Merry Christmas! I am a dancing at a pre-professional school in my hometown and have attended MCB’s summer intensive twice. I just read your book and I really enjoyed it. I’ve seen many a ballet book, but never one like this that focuses on the interests and concerns of younger dancers while still sharing personal experiences. I feel privileged to have all of this knowledge, yet I can’t wait to show it to my other ballet friends. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and advice :)

9. Noor khosla / Apr 24 2012 2:09 pm

Hi Jennifer!
    I’m Noor, from new Delhi, India…
    I’m very passionate towards ballet…. Some people think I’m mad… Crazy!!
    I’ll be coming to NYC this may(2012) to attend a summer intensive at the Joffery ballet school… And I’m really hoping to buy your book while im there…Your book sounds pretty interesting…. Can’t wait to get On with reading it!
    Hope you’re well…. Happy” ballet times!!”
    I wish. Could meet u some day…
    Best wishes!
    Tx, noor

10. horselove10 / Jun 11 2012 6:55 pm

Hi,

I am very eager to read your book, it looks really good! Will you sell you book in paper version? I’m more of a paper person… Thanks.

• ballerina2thepointe / Jun 23 2012 2:59 am

Thanks for your interest in my book, “So, You Want to be a Ballet Dancer?”. As a matter of fact, I am pleased to let you know that a paper edition is in the works as we speak! It will be a somewhat expanded and updated version of the original, including additional chapters and subject matter. I also intend to include additional photos, as well as “QR” codes which, when scanned, will link readers to informational video clips. The papaer edition will be published by The University Press of Florida, and is scheduled to be released next spring. Look out for further updates and information!

11. missamyjane / Mar 16 2013 6:19 pm

This is awesome! I could’ve used a book like this when I was a teenager studying ballet. I totally romanticized what being a dancer meant! I’m excited to follow your blog! : )

Trackbacks

1. Ballet in Print: So, You Want to Be a Ballet Dancer? | BalletScoop by the ClassicalBalletTeacher
  2. MCB Summer: Jennifer Kronenberg’s BIG APPLE Homecoming - Miami City Ballet Blog